Different Things I'm Working On, Thinking About, Keeping Track Of,,

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

The Last Retreat

LOL, no not the LAST retreat, but the last retreat I went on...  anyway, it's been a bit ago but I haven't been able to post any of the pictures or show off all the cool things that my friends make.  I always find myself full of creativity and a desire to make beautiful quilts out of all the fabric I have.  Forget cooking, cleaning or even going to work --  just let me make quilts!!

Then I come home, and reality sets in :)...  gee, that kitchen looks like a hurricane hit it; don't you know how to make the bed; why are there all those fast food bags sitting on the table, etc, etc, etc.. You know the drill.  But I guess he was just as glad I was gone and he could be a batchlor again as I was being with my friends.  Short periods of being apart is a good thing!

DSC00518
   we are a pretty casual group and believe in COMFORT!  I would spend my whole weekend in jammas if I could ( well, I do get dressed to go to the quilt stores )  and usually I have my projects all cut and ready to sew.  If I try to cut, I mess stuff up cause my mouth is moving about as fast as my blade on my rotary.  I can not cut and talk at the same time.
DSC00519
BUT,, I was not organized so this time I had to cut fabric so I would have something to work on. My son saw a quilt in a book that he really liked, I got the fabric and here it is, all ready to start on. There must have been about 12 fabrics! well not 12 but it looks like 10! And you know what!!! I got them all cut, not one mistake, wrong size, or slipped ruler YAHOO!
DSC00529
Add this is Diane, she had shoulder replacement surgery about 2 weeks before this - do you think that would keep a good quilter down? NO! She was working on a raffle quilt and there wasn't much she couldn't do. You Rock Diane!
DSC00527

Check this out!  This was a fusible grid and Susan had all these 2-1/2 inch squares.  You fuse them on each square, then follow the sewing lines and VOILA!  You have a postage stamp quilt!  Now I know what I'm going to do with a lot of those scraps.   Put a couple of borders on and you have a really cool quilt -




DSC00531

Isn't this a beautiful quilt!  Nelda did a great job.  I think she said it was a Lewis and Clark Sampler Block that she did with a group.  While they sewed the blocks, they also learned about the journey.
DSC00530
DSC00532DSC00533LOL, not only is Miss Nelda a great quilter, she believes in recycling, repurposing and using stuff up.  She is wearing a hat made out of an old sweater ( like she said, if you don't have one you want to cut up, go visit Goodwill! )  What a great idea to keep your head warm ( gee you put tassles or beads or anything on this!  oops my "weird old lady" is coming out )





 Ok, another new technique we saw this weekend was Joan doing some strip sewing, then making this cool quilt.  I'm not sure I got the whole thing right on how to make it, but you take rectangles, sew them end to end, fold in half, sew that together, fold in half, --  see I'm not sure about this.  But it was really really easy and makes this cool quilt.  Think I'm going to call Joan and ask her.

DSC00537
 Maybe this shows it - Susan used jelly roll strips to make this kind of quilt. Sew strips end to end, fold in half well, you got the idea :)   Susan was making this for a new grandbaby that she was waiting, and I mean WAITING on!  In fact, I think she got the call that night - or she found out something cause she left us with a big grin on her face!


What did I say about being inspired?  Niki's gorgeous quilt DSC00535

and YEAH Julie!!  You did it! You finished the Beach Quilt!  This was one that we started a block swap on a couple of years ago.  We had so much fun making the house blocks.  For some it is still a work in progress but a few of us have finished theirs.

DSC00538

More inspiration for me --  Donna beautiful black and white quilt.  Fabric placement is great, isn't it!  .
DSC00540Well thanks for sharing some inspiration with me!  If I can figure out how to get off the couch, put up the laptop I might get some sewing done!


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...