Different Things I'm Working On, Thinking About, Keeping Track Of,,

Sunday, September 5, 2010

Yee-Haw! Another Finish

paisley's purse


I call this one Paisley's Purse, only because of the fabric that I've had for years! Well, maybe not YEARS, like centuries, but I've had it for a long time and never could figure out what to do with it. Drove me nuts - I'd see it sitting on the shelf and wanted to use it, wanted to get rid of it, wanted to quit seeing it - you know what i mean!

I found this pattern online at www.andoverfabrics.com - here is the pattern address itself http://www.andoverfabrics.com/QuiltDesigns/Home%20To%20Roost.pdf. They call their pattern "Home to Roost". Of course I had to make it my own - so I did some changes.

I was not thrilled with how they did the second border - the jagged border. The pattern calls for cutting triangles,, ICK! So I used my Triangulations CD ( no, I have nothing involved with this, but it's a great tool to have ) and printed out pages to make the HST,, so much easier! and I didn't have to worry about bias edges. I cut 9x9 fabric, one of the pink and and of the pink. Put them RST and then put the paper I printed on top and sew on the sewing lines. Then cut on the cutting lines and VOILA! I had 8 HST, all done, right size. Cool.

The pattern wanted the brick background and the first border to be the same fabric. I didn't have enough to do that, so I used a darker print for the border. I think it worked out well! The solid maroon helps the bricks to be defined and the darker border sets the quilt. I also cut the outer border bigger than called for - I could have gone bigger, I guess, I had the fabric.

I like how it came out and I'm sure that when it is quilted it will be just great. I have so much! of the maroon paisly left that I'm going to use it for the backing and if by chance I need to add more, I'll just use up the scraps of all that is left.

Binding,, hhmm,, no solid maroon left - LOL wonder what lime green would look like??

I'll play Scarlett and worry about that tomorrow.


3 comments:

soggybottomflats said...

I want this quilt! Just gorgeous, love, love, love it! Thank you for sharing, Elaine

tirane93 said...

hey, sharp quilt! very unusual color combo, but quite effective!

Rhonda said...

I think you did a great job of making the pattern your own. Love the fabric....and I know what you mean about folding onto fabric, not knowing what you want to do with it....but something always comes along sooner or later.
Take care.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...